If your printer detects a certain error, it will stop printing and notify you by flashing the triangle warning sign. The flashes will be different in color and number to specify certain problems with the printer.
So, how to fix the canon printer triangle with lightning bolt flashing problem?
To fix the Canon printer’s triangle with a lightning bolt flashing warning sign, first, you should check the fine and ink cartridge. Make sure to use the right cartridges and install them correctly. Make sure the output cover is open before printing. Always use compatible paper with the printer and before printing, set the right paper size.
There are specific fixes based on the warning light color and number of flashes. To know them all, keep reading.
What Does a Flashing Triangle Mean On Canon Printer?
The triangle light flashing on the Canon printer is an alarm warning. It indicates a problem with the printer or its relative parts. Triangle light flashing can be of two types.
First, the light can be only orange in color. In this type of flashing, the orange light flashes 2,3,4, or more times and then goes off, depending on the problem. Then again flashes in the same way.
Here, the “A” and “B” is the time span, and in the “A”, the light flashes (for this example, 2 times). And in the “B,” the light goes off.
Another type of light flashing warning has two colors in it, orange and green. Here, the colors flash alternatively.
In the “A” time span, the green and orange flash alternately, and in the “B” phase, the lights go off.
We will discuss all the reasons and solutions for these flashes in detail in the next segment.
Why Is The Triangle Light Orange Flashing On My Canon Printer?
The different number of orange light flashing means different things. Here are the reasons for all the flashes and their solutions.
You will see the orange light flashing 2 times in your Canon printer when the printer runs out of paper. Also, if the paper size is in the print setting and the size of the paper you are using doesn’t match, you will see 2 flashes.
- Check the paper tray and put the paper on the tray if necessary.
- When inserting the paper into the paper tray, make sure the paper’s front edge touches the back end of the tray.
- While printing, go to the “More settings” and check the paper size. Make sure to put the exact paper size you are using for printing.
The orange light will flash three times if somehow the paper gets jammed in the paper output slot or near the transport unit. Also, if the output tray of the printer is closed during printing this warning will show up.
- Check and make sure the output tray cover is open.
- Check the output slot. If the paper is jammed there, use both hands to hold the paper and slowly pull it towards you. If you face this issue while printing, press the “stop” button to stop the printing task and pull the paper out.
- If the paper is not in the output slot, you have to check the transport unit and if needed, remove the paper from there. Here’s what you need to do.
Step 1: Turn off your Canon printer and remove the power cable. Close the document cover.
Step 2: Tilt the machine towards its right.
Step 3: Open the transport unit of the printer by pushing the open lever. Make sure to hold the machine properly so it doesn’t fall over.
Step 4: Carefully pull out the jammed paper from the transport unit.
Step 5: Close the transport unit and place the machine properly.
Step 6: Load papers and try running the printer.
Apart from the paper jam, the printer can get jammed for many other reasons. For efficient performance of the printer, you should fix the printer jam if you detect any.
If the printer’s fine cartridge is installed incorrectly, 4 orange flashes will show up near the triangle with a lightning bolt flashing.
Here’s how to solve this issue.
Step 1: Open your printer output cover.
Step 2: ensure the correct installation of the fine cartridges by pushing up the lock lever of the ink cartridges.
Step 3: You can take out the fine cartridges from the printer and reinstall them to be extra sure.
Step 4: Close the output cover. And the flashing light should be gone.
5 flashes warning also indicated a problem with the fine cartridges. If the fine cartridges are not installed or recognized by the printer, this issue can happen. Also, using the wrong type of ink cartridge causes this problem as well.
- Check the slot, and if there is no fine cartridge, install one.
- If your printer has fine cartridges but you are still getting this light, the cartridge might be damaged and you need to replace it.
- Make sure to use compatible cartridges for your printer only. The right type of cartridge is mentioned in your printer’s manual.
If your printer’s paper cover is kept open or if the fine cartridge is installed in the wrong position, you’ll notice 6 flashes.
- Make sure the paper cover is closed before printing.
- Check all the fine cartridges and make sure they are placed in their proper slot.
When the ink absorber of your Canon printer is almost full, the printer will indicate it with flashing 8 flashes.
- If you are in the middle of important printing, tap on the printer’s “Color” or “Black” button to resume printing for now.
- Consult the printer’s dealer as soon as possible and have the printer repaired.
If you forget to remove the protective tape from the fine cartridge holder, the printer will flash orange light 9 times.
Open your Canon printer’s output cover. And then remove the protective tape from the holder of the fine cartridge.
10 light will flash when you are printing on both sides and the paper you are using is not compatible with this type of printing.
Check the printer’s manual and make sure to use the right type of paper for automatic duplex printing. Usually, A4 size and letter size paper are compatible with this type of printing on most printers.
If the page size setting and the size of the paper you are using don’t match, the printer can show 11 flashes. Also, due to a clogged print head nozzle, the automatic print head alignment can fail. And the printer can indicate this warning sign.
- Make sure to input the right paper size while printing.
- If this doesn’t solve the problem, you have to clean the printhead of your Canon printer.
Also, remember to clean your printer regularly to make it last longer.
If your Canon printer is unable to print the data you are trying to print, it can flash 12 orange lights. For example, Creative Park Premium content.
- Make sure you use only the cartridges compatible with the Canon printer.
- Check and make sure the fine cartridges are installed correctly and it has all the colors.
If your Canon printer’s ink has run out, you will notice 13 orange lights flashing.
- If you are in the middle of important printing, press the printer’s stop button at least 5 times. Then try printing. If your printer’s cartridges have any remaining ink left, you will be able to print some more pages.
But note that, the quality won’t be top-notch. Also, this process may damage the printer so do it at your own risk. Canon won’t take any responsibility if your printer breaks during this procedure.
- Remove the old cartridges and replace them with new and genuine Canon ink cartridges.
Sometimes, the Canon printer can be unable to recognize the ink cartridges. In this case, you will notice the orange light flashing 14 times.
- Use only ink cartridges that are compatible with your Canon printer.
- Make sure the ink cartridges are installed correctly.
If your printer can not verify the fine cartridges, it can show 15 flashes sometimes. There is a high chance that the fine cartridges in your printer are damaged.
You have to replace the fine cartridges. If replacing the fin cartridges doesn’t solve the issue, you have to consult with your dealer and have the printer repaired.
If your Canon printer Ink has fully run out, you will notice 16 orange flashes.
- You can try pressing the printer’s “Stop” button 5 times and then try printing. There might be some residual ink. But there’s a high chance it won’t work.
- Change the ink and try printing again.
If the Canon printer fails to detect the width of the paper you are using, it can show 21 orange flashes.
- Press the “Stop” button to stop the current printing job. And then try printing again.
- If retrying doesn’t work, you have to disable the width recognition feature of the printer. Here’s how you do it.
Step 1: Open your printer driver from your computer.
Step 2: Select “Maintenance” located at the top of the screen.
Step 3: Select “Custom Settings”.
Step 4: Uncheck the “Detect paper width” option by clicking on the tick box. Click “OK”.
Now you should be able to print.
If the paper is not being fed in the right alignment, the printer will detect that and will show 22 flashes.
Remove the paper stack from the tray and load the paper on the tray again. Make sure this time the paper is not aligned on one side.
Why Is The Triangle Light Orange & Green Flashing On My Canon Printer?
Sometimes, instead of only flashing orange light, your Canon light can flash orange and green light alternatively. The flashing number can be 2, 7, 9, or any other number.
In this case, the printer error is more serious and you have to take the printer to the dealer to have it fixed. Before going to the dealer, you can try unplugging the printer and plugging it back.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
How Do I Clear The Ink Error On My Canon Printer?
To clear the ink error on your canon printer Press the “Resume” or “Cancel” button on your Canon printer. Hold it for at least 5 seconds and release it. The printer should start initializing and the ink error warning sign should be gone.
What Does The Red Light On The Canon Printer Mean?
The red light on your Canon printer means it does not have enough paper to print. You have to load papers. Also, if the papers are not placed properly on the paper tray, the printer may not recognize them and show red light. Make sure to push the paper all the way into the tray.
Here goes all the fixes for the canon printer triangle with lightning bolt flashing problem. Carefully notice how many times your printer flashes the light and act according to it.
That is all I had to say for now. All the best and goodbye!
Read also: HP Printer Blue Screen Error